Browsing Vol 5 No.1 by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 20 of 55
Results Per Page
- ItemObservation of Thrombophilia Testing Panel among Hebron Population(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Raghad Al-Shareef; Dania Ewadeh; Mariam Shehada; Ahmad Salhab; Mohamad Sleimeih; Ashraf Abdeen; Rozan AttiliBackground: Thrombophilia is abnormal blood coagulation that leads to an increased risk of blood tendency to clot. Genetic factors tested as a whole panel consist of seven genetic abnormalities: Factor V Leiden, Factor V, Prothrombin (Factor II), Beta Fibrinogen, Factor 8, MTHFR (C677T), MTHFR (A1298C), and four risk factors: Human Platelet Antigen, Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE), Glycoprotein IIIa (GP IIIa) and Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor-1 (PAI-1). In some cases protein c, protein s and Antithrombin may be added.
- ItemThe Prince's Argumentative Credibility(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Munira Odetallah; Ali Jallad Palestine; Justine Khalaf; Ibrahim Amawi; Hosam Jawabra; Ibrahim MarazkaBackground: Niccolò Machiavelli declares his intention in The Prince to delve into “a discussion of how things are in real life and not waste time with a discussion of an imaginary world,” and so to give a realistic account of politics and governance. He does this through the study of historical leaders, establishing a discourse on the best attributes of a successful ruler often based on their failures and accomplishments. A key attribute, for Machiavelli, is a ruler’s ability to garner respect and fear from their people, whilst avoiding any hate. Inadvertently, he seems to advocate for treading a fine line between fear and hatred.
- ItemPreventive Practices among the Kuwaiti Population During and after the COVID-19 Pandemic(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Abrar Ghaith; Zinah Aqeel Bairmani; Hossam Tharwat AliBackground: COVID-19, also known as coronavirus disease 2019, is a highly infectious respiratory illness caused by the SARS-CoV-2 virus. The virus can be transmitted through close contact with infected individuals or through contaminated surfaces. Symptoms of COVID-19 can vary widely, ranging from mild flu-like symptoms to severe respiratory distress, and can even be fatal in some cases. The pandemic has had a significant impact on global health, economies, and societies, with governments and healthcare systems worldwide grappling to contain the spread of the virus while addressing the challenges posed by the disease. Adherence to protective practices has been essential to control the spread of the disease and better outcomes at the individual and community levels.
- ItemAnalysis of the Relation between Israel's Law of Return and Palestinian Displacement in The Context of Decolonization(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Malak Hassouneh; Danyah JaberBackground: The idea behind my project can be divided into two ideas that are related to each other. The aim of this research is to unpack how Israel's Law of Return cannot be enacted without the displacement of Palestinians. My argument expands beyond the borders of the topic of displaced Palestinians and refugees and Israeli settlers. It sheds light on what a potential decolonized Palestine would be like and how that future would look like for the settlers. Hence, my project brings the issues of postcolonial societies and transitional justice together to break down the legal relationship between the colonizer and the colonized in a decolonized reality.
- ItemLocked Out: A Critical Look into the Grand Residential Projects of East-Jerusalem(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Rana Hadieh; Saad AmeerhBackground:Palestinians living in East-Jerusalem are constantly on edge, the fear of losing their homes lingers continuously. Palestinians face the threat of losing their homes at the hands of the Israeli occupation which sends out home demolition orders for families and justifies it with the absence of a permit. This is a systematic and institutionalized form of violence of an occupying power; however, one would expect Palestinian landowners and the owners of rented apartment buildings in East-Jerusalem to facilitate the residency of Palestinians knowing how hard it is to own a home or find one in this city. This is why I was surprised when I found out that the building that my grandmother has lived in for years, and the one that is sustaining 4-5 businesses on the first floor is to be demolished soon by the owner, to build a grand residential project. What has inspired the emergence of all of these grand projects throughout recent years? How is the establishment of these projects facilitated and granted a building permit by Israel, when Palestinian families are not given a permit to build a home the size of a bedroom? I introduce this topic through the story of my grandmother, who is facing possible displacement because the apartment she has been living in for years is going to be turned into a huge residential complex, she now has to face the sudden changes of moving into a different home, leaving the one that she has lived in all of her life.
- ItemPrevalence of Iron Deficiency Anemia among Hebron University Students and a Comparison of Sehgal Index with Other Complete Blood Count Indices(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Shahd AbuRumaila; Lana NaserAldeen; Zeina Abd Alnabi; Rasha Dofish; Leka Abu Safia; Nael AlRjoub; Haneen Nur; Mahmoud RamlawiBackground: Iron-deficiency anemia (IDA) is the most common cause of anemia worldwide. It is considered to be a major public health problem in developing countries specifically in women and young children. The university students usually take fast junk food, and the food value of their diets is not always balanced. To our knowledge, the prevalence of IDA among Palestinian university students is not well studied.
- ItemManagement of Anemia Among Hemodialysis Patients in Hebron Governorate(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Amneh Hawamdeh; Rasha Alnatsheh; Lina Alhasani; Haneen Nur; Abeer GhanayemBackground: Renal Anemia is a prevalent condition among end-stage of chronic kidney disease (CKD), especially among patients undergoing hemodialysis (HD) due to erythropoietin deficiency. Uncontrolled anemia treatment is a major contributing factor for increased mortality and significant decrease in the Quality of Life (QoL). Medical protocols of renal anemia for end stage CKD patients vary between blood transfusion, erythropoiesis stimulating agents (ESAs) therapy or iron supplements. Palestinian hemodialysis patients receive medical care and treatment in the governmental hospitals. However, the clinical outcomes for HD patients are not clearly assessed.
- ItemPatients' Satisfaction about the Health Care Services Provided to Cancer Patients at Oncology Departments on Turkish Palestinian Friendship Hospital in Gaza Strip(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Yasin J S Barbakh; Feras Yousef AL Zatma; Mahmoud M. AL Nahal Mohammed B.; Musab H. Asfour Abu Mustafa; Abdulrahman AL-HamsBackground: Patient satisfaction is a crucial aspect of quality medical care, which involves various healthcare personnel in healthcare organizations such as physicians, nurses, and medical professionals. This study aimed to assess patient satisfaction with healthcare services provided at the oncology departments in the Turkish Palestinian Friendship Hospital in the Gaza Strip recruited.
- ItemPlaque: Strategies and Modulation among Cardiovascular(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Janat Al-Jobah; Asmaa Shlaldeh; Aya Al-Mashni; Rana Ahrizat; Rana Idaes; Rozan AttiliBackground: With the great scientific and technological progress, we have become able to use this technology in the service of human health. In this regard; nanotechnology has been used in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
- ItemChemotherapy Induced Liver & Kidney Complication in Hodgkin Lymphoma Patient in West Bank(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Donia Khalid Tomizy; Manar Rouhe Alsharabate; Haneen Nur; Firas AlmahmuodBackground: Lymphomas are a type of cancer that affects the lymphatic system. It is caused by an accumulation of malignant lymphocytes in lymph nodes and other lymphoid tissues, which results in defining the clinical features of lymphadenopathy. Based on the histological presence of Reed-Sternberg cells in Hodgkin Lymphoma, it is generally divided into two categories: Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). Hodgkin's lymphoma accounts for about 10% of all lymphomas, and the remaining 90% are referred to as NHL. According to the statistics of the Palestinian Ministry of Health for the year 2021, NHL and HL ranked the seventh and the ninth, respectively, among the most prevalent types of cancer in the West Bank. Although cytotoxic therapy prolongs the survival of patients with advanced and metastatic cancers, but there are significant drawbacks to this double-edged sword. Most of the drugs and foreign substances that enter the body have side effects, including chemotherapy, which shows several side effects on liver and kidneys, as both are responsible for the elimination of poisons, drugs, and endogenous metabolic products.
- ItemPalatal Swelling Revealing a Secondary Hyperparathyroidism : Case Report(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Leen Dweik; Sarah Maraqa.Background: A 18-year-old female patient reported to our clinic with a chief complaint of a 5-months history of gradually enlarging, painless swelling of the palate. Combined with unaesthetic appearance with proclined anterior teeth and a clear deformity of the maxillae. The patient has been suffering from chronic kidney failure since 2019 and has been undergoing regular dialysis 3 times a week since that time.She was diagnosed recently with secondary hyperparathyroidism. The lesion causes moderate eating and speech difficulties combined with discomfort during respiration.
- ItemAn Epidemiological Study of Wilson's Disease in Morocco(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Nadia Abbassi; Azeddine Seddki; Nadra Lekouch; Sedki AzeddineObjectives: Wilson's disease is an autosomal recessive disorder that affects copper metabolism leading to copper accumulation in the liver, nervous system, and cornea. There is a lack of data regarding the epidemiological, clinical, laboratory, treatment and survival from Wilson's disease cohorts in Morocco. The aim of this study is to examine these features and the cause of death in a Moroccan population
- ItemAssessment of Nutritional Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices among Pediatric Oncology Caregivers Assessment of Nutritional Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices among Pediatric Oncology Caregivers(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Karam Khaled; Rahaf Hamdan; Najah Isawi; Amna Abu Mfareh; Maha HusseiniBackground: Adequate nutrition in childhood is important for proper neurodevelopment, also it is important for the growth and development of the immune system by supporting it against illness and infections as well as increasing quality of life. Cancer rates are increasing worldwide, and the occurrence of this disease is affected by nutritional factors (diet, nutrition, and exercise). Poor nutritional knowledge, behavior, practices, and awareness of caregivers of children with cancer are disturbing. It has been found that nutritional knowledge might help these patients to adopt healthy eating patterns. In the Middle East generally and Palestine especially, there are few studies on this topic. The study aims to assess nutritional knowledge, practices, and behaviors among pediatric oncology caregivers in Augusta Victoria Hospital and Beit Jala Governmental Hospital.
- ItemThe Importance of the Sanctions Movement in South Africa to its Liberation(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Shumoo Ayaseh; Daniel TerrisBackground: The key factor in pushing a nation to fight for their freedom is having their rights turned into privileges, this research will work in understanding how that was the case for South Africa, and how similar the Palestinian struggle is to it. This research was motivated by the similarity of the case of South Africa and the case of Palestine, as well as the desire to clearly articulate the factors that contributed to the freedom of other nations, as compared to a local context.
- ItemAssessment of Palestinian Pharmacists Knowledge Concerning Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD)(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Haya Sobh; Aseel Mhana; Aseel Ghayadah; Rania GhanimBackground: Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is characterized by decrease in kidney function. CKD is a public health problem with an increasing incidence and prevalence, poor outcomes and high cost.
- ItemLearning Disorder in Palestine: Awareness and Diagnosis(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Hanyya Alnajjar; Hadeel Almutan; Jana Diriyeh; Nada Shahin; Nadine Assi
- ItemIndications, Characteristics, Findings & Recommendation of Patients Undergoing ERCP in Al Shefa Hospital(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Mustafa Abu Jayyab; Mustafa A. Abu Jayyab; Hasan K. H. Hamdan; Ahmed M. Z. Eid; Khaled A. A. Siyam; Moshee Al-Dahdouh; Tayseer Jamal Afifi; Khamis ElessiBackground: Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a highly specialized procedure that combines diagnostic and therapeutic capabilities. ERCP allows physicians to examine the biliary tract, pancreas, and gallbladder by using a flexible endoscope equipped with a tiny camera and contrast dye. ERCP is frequently used to diagnose and treat various conditions, such as gallstones, pancreatitis, bile duct obstruction, and certain cancers. During the procedure, the physician can remove obstructions, take tissue samples for further testing, and place stents to keep the bile duct open. The procedure is performed by a highly trained gastroenterologist in a hospital or specialized center equipped with the necessary tools and equipment. While ERCP is generally safe, it does carry a higher risk of complications, such as pancreatitis, bleeding, or infection. Patients who undergo ERCP will need to fast for several hours before the procedure and will receive sedation to help them relax during the examination. Following the procedure, patients may experience mild discomfort or bloating, but these symptoms typically subside within a few days. ERCP is a crucial tool in the diagnosis and treatment of many gastrointestinal conditions, and if recommended by your physician, it is important to carefully follow all pre- and post-procedure instructions to ensure the best possible outcome.
- ItemMental Health in Schools(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Lama Diriyeh; Reem LadadwaBackground: There have been several mental health quantitative researches over the years. Most came to the conclusion that the primary cause of mental distress and depression among Palestinians is due to the high exposure to violence due to occupation practices in the West Bank and Gaza. In addition, the stigma around mental health illness in the Palestinian community, and the lack of highly educated and experienced mental health nurses and practitioners cause many Palestinians to refrain from seeking professional help in most cases. Many studies also indicated the lack of qualitative research regarding the topic and the necessity of this type of research, along with the many available quantitative researches on the topic, to establish a sustainable support system.
- Itemمستوى التفاؤل لدى طلبة جامعة النجاح الوطنية في ظل جائحة كورونا كوفيد ١٩ المستجد من وجه(Al-Quds University - Deansip of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) أحلام قواريقطرق البحث: استخدمت الباحثتان المنهج الوصفي التحليلي ، وذلك لمعرفة الحقائق التفصيلية عن مستوى التفاؤل لدى طلبة جامعة النجاح الوطنية في ظل جائحة كورونا كوفيد 19 المستجد من وجهات نظرهم أنفسهم، حيث أن هذا المنهج لا يقتصر على جمع البيانات وتبويبها وإنما يتضمن قدراً من التفسير لهذه البيانات. النتائج: أنّ فقرات درجة التفاؤل لدى طلبة جامعة النجاح في ظل جائحة كورونا كوفيد19 المستجد من وجهات نظرهم أنفسهم كانت ما بين المنخفضة والكبيرة، فقد تراوحت المتوسطات الحسابية للفقرات ما بين (2.52) إلى (3.81), وأنّ الفقرات التي حصلت على درجة منخفضة هي الفقرة (11)، وأنّ الفقرات التي حصلت على درجة متوسطة هي الفقرات (1، 2، 4، 12، 14، 15، 16)، وأنَّ الفقرات التي حصلت على درجة كبيرة هي الفقرات (3، 5، 6، 7، 8، 9، 10، 13، 17، 18، 19، 20، 21)، وأنَّ الفقرة التي حصلت على أعلى متوسط حسابي هي الفقرة رقم (18) والتي نصها (أرى أن الفرج سيكون قريباً) حيث حصلت على متوسط حسابي (3.81) ونسبة مئوية (76.2%) وأنَّ الفقرة التي حصلت على أدنى متوسط حسابي هي الفقرة رقم (11) والتي نصها (أعتقد أن الناس ذو مقاصد حسنة) حيث حصلت على متوسط حسابي (2.52) ونسبة مئوية (50.4%) وتشير هذه النتيجة إلى أن درجة التفاؤل لدى طلبة جامعة النجاح في ظل جائحة كورونا كوفيد19 المستجد من وجهات نظرهم أنفسهم حيث كانت كبيرة وذلك بدلالة الدرجة الكلية التي بلغ متوسطها الحسابي (3.42) نسبتها المئوية (68.4%).
- ItemKnowledge and Attitude Toward Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation among Al-Quds University Students(Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research, 2023-05-16) Bayan Izhiman; Zainab Qasem; Duha Eid; Raghad Tamimi; Ibrahim GhannamBackground: Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is a life-saving procedure for individuals suffering from sickle cell anemia, hematologic malignancies, and immunological disorders. However, the probability of finding a well-matched donor within the family ranges between 25% and 30%. The best donor is a fully matched human leukocyte antigen (HLA) sibling. For other patients who do not have a matched family member, transplantation from an unrelated volunteer donor may be an option.