Browsing Special Edition by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 10 of 10
Results Per Page
- ItemSuperior Glenohumeral Joint Injection; Accuracy, Needle length, And Association with BMI(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08)Background: Glenohumeral joint (GHJ) injection is a common orthopedic procedure. Various approaches are documented in the literature to access the GHJ. Shoulder injections are used to treat a wide range of conditions, including arthritis, adhesive capsulitis, and rotator cuff pain. However, the inaccuracy of steroid injection placement has been reported in the literature and found to have a significant effect on the clinical outcome.
- ItemInfection-related Hospital Admission in Dialysis Patients: Relationship with Iron Status(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Ruba Salameh; Bayan F. Alqtishat; Hussein HallakBackground: Infection is a major risk factor for mortality in patients on chronic dialysis. The risk of infection in dialysis patients is attributable to many factors including the dialysis process itself, the cause of the end-stage renal disease (ESRD) that lead the patient to be on chronic dialysis, and all the other abnormal changes in the metabolic processes with their consequent changes in different minerals in serum. Iron, phosphorus, calcium, and albumin status have been linked to increased mortality in dialysis patients.
- ItemStapler-Less Uniportal Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery: Case Series and Review of the Literature(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Rawan Ayyad; Alaa Ayyad; Raghad Sweity; Mayar Idkedek; Firas Abu AkarBackground: With the world's trend towards minimally invasive surgical techniques, video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) is now a well-established technique worldwide. Mechanical stapling is routinely employed for bronchial and pulmonary vasculature sealing and ligation during anatomical lung resection. The use of staplers is associated with high operating costs, bleeding, reopening and infections. This high stapler cost affected the spread and use of VATS in less developed countries where staplers can’t be afforded. In this study, we demonstrate the feasibility and outcomes from the first case series of uniportal VATS lobectomies and segmentectomies without the use of a stapler.
- ItemGiant Solitary Distal Sciatic Myxoid Neurofibroma: A Case Report & Review of Literature(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Fatima Az-Zahra' Thawabtah; Mayar Idkedek; Hafez NimerBackground: Neurofibroma is a rare benign tumor of the peripheral nervous system that can evolve anyplace through a nerve from the dorsal ganglion to its terminal branches. Myxoid neurofibroma is usually presented as a solitary non-tender nodule. However, in 50% of the cases, neurofibromas can present as a part of neurofibromatosis.
- ItemPerioperative management of a Glanzmann thrombasthenia patient undergoing off-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery: A case report(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Bayan F. Alqtishat; Ruba Salameh; Hasan Hajjaj; Nizar AwwadBackground: Glanzmann thrombasthenia is a rare bleeding disorder caused by defective platelet aggregation and characterized by mucocutaneous bleeding: recurrent untriggered episodes of epistaxis and gingival bleeding. Glanzmann thrombasthenia is known for its’ clinical variability in signs and symptoms, ranging from easy bruising to fatal hemorrhages. While mild cases are managed conservatively, platelet transfusion is needed for more severe cases. This is the first case reporting a patient with Glanzmann thrombasthenia undergoing an off-pump fashion coronary artery bypass graft surgery; with minimal platelets transfusion required.
- ItemSurgical Resection of a Giant Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma with Sternal Metastasis: A Case Report and Review of the Literature(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Raghad Sweity; Fahmi Jubran; Izzeddin A. Bakri; Sami Bannoura; Yousef Abu AsbehBackground: Papillary thyroid carcinoma is a differentiated form of thyroid carcinoma and the most common malignant thyroid cancer. It is characterized by indolent biological behavior and slow growth, with only a few cases reporting sternal metastasis. This study aims at reporting a rare case of huge papillary thyroid carcinoma that presented with sternal metastasis, with a review of the relevant literature.
- ItemAssociation Between Inter-Arm Blood Pressure Difference and Chronic Kidney Disease in Type 2 Diabetic Patients(Deanship of Sceintific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Raghad Sweity; Khadeeja Fanoun; Tareq Jarrar; Bayan F. Alqtishat; Mohammad Abdelhafez; Suhair EreqatBackground: The Palestinian society's rates of Diabetes Mellitus are among the highest worldwide rates. One of the common diabetes complications is diabetic chronic kidney disease. Diabetic chronic kidney disease is associated with inter-arm blood pressure difference, defined as a ⩾10mmHg difference in systolic blood pressure between the right and left arms as a predictor. Several studies have shown that inter-arm blood pressure difference is related to an increased risk of death and vascular problems in patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus.
- ItemA Successful Resection of a Giant Adrenal Myelolipoma Measuring 35x33x13 cm and Weighing 4600 grams: A Case Report & Review of Literature(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Gharam Kiswani; Salsabeel Abu Khalaf; Mayar Idkedek; Riyad Salah Al-deen; Wadee BarbarawiBackground: Adrenal myelolipomas are rare nonfunctional tumors that are mostly asymptomatic and often found incidentally. They can be associated with other endocrine disorders like pheochromocytoma, and congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). Adrenal myelolipoma usually measures from 2-4 cm in diameter, although large tumors measuring more than 10 cm can be found.
- ItemSignificance of Peri-Operative Urinary Catheterization in Neck of Femur Fractures: A Literature Review(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Ala Awad; Sewar A. Elejla; Khadeeja Fanoun; Bayan F. Alqtishat; Khaled YaghmourBackground: Neck of femur (NOF) fractures are one of the most commonly encountered fractures in orthopedics with established high morbidity and mortality. The surgical management of NOF fractures requires a thorough perioperative assessment to improve overall outcomes.
- ItemCase Report and Review of Literature: Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma Misdiagnosed as Breast Carcinoma(Deanship of Scientific Research/ Al-Quds University, 2023-03-08) Ainaa A.Al-Zmari; Mayar Idkedek; Sami Bannoura; Yousef Abu-AsbehBackground: Malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) is a rare but aggressive tumor that is linked to asbestos exposure. Pleural mesothelioma is frequently challenging to diagnose because it mimics many other cancers. Among them, the two most common causes of pleural metastasis are breast and primary lung malignancies.