Chemotherapy Induced Liver & Kidney Complication in Hodgkin Lymphoma Patient in West Bank

Donia Khalid Tomizy
Manar Rouhe Alsharabate
Haneen Nur
Firas Almahmuod
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Al-Quds University - Deanship of Scientific Research
Background: Lymphomas are a type of cancer that affects the lymphatic system. It is caused by an accumulation of malignant lymphocytes in lymph nodes and other lymphoid tissues, which results in defining the clinical features of lymphadenopathy. Based on the histological presence of Reed-Sternberg cells in Hodgkin Lymphoma, it is generally divided into two categories: Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) and non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). Hodgkin's lymphoma accounts for about 10% of all lymphomas, and the remaining 90% are referred to as NHL. According to the statistics of the Palestinian Ministry of Health for the year 2021, NHL and HL ranked the seventh and the ninth, respectively, among the most prevalent types of cancer in the West Bank. Although cytotoxic therapy prolongs the survival of patients with advanced and metastatic cancers, but there are significant drawbacks to this double-edged sword. Most of the drugs and foreign substances that enter the body have side effects, including chemotherapy, which shows several side effects on liver and kidneys, as both are responsible for the elimination of poisons, drugs, and endogenous metabolic products.